Workout Wednesday is another weekly challenge by the same people who manage Makeover Monday. Instead of re-imagining a viz, this challenge is to re-create a viz. It’s a great way to discover new techniques and develop better instincts for what is possible in Tableau.
Here’s my *slightly tweaked* version of the original viz.
I managed to re-create all the tricky parts! What I changed:
- I left the font as Arial (I was working off of 9.3)
- I tweaked the colors – the red and blue on the original felt too loud to me.
- I re-arranged the text, and revised it to something easier to understand and more accurate.
This is the process I followed re-creating the viz:
- Filter year
- First Digit calc using CO2
- Create bar chart (First Digit, Records)
- %of total table calc
- Exclude Nulls
- Remove lines (including column axis ticks)
- Setup Parameter, Parameter Calc
- Put Parameter Calc into First Digit Calc
- Multiply infant mortality rate, birth rate by 100 in Parameter calc
- Adjust axies
- Use reference line to add labels
- Tried using Gantt bars – Couldn’t create two color split at centerpoint
- Expected Value, Top Point, Bottom Point calcs
- *Trickiest Trick* Put those calcs on detail!
- Create two cell level reference bands
It took me about 4 hours working off and on to finish this week’s challenge, and only went down one wrong path. All in all, I think it went pretty well!